At Hycomp, we engineer, design, and manufacture oil-free gas compressors and boosters to meet the specific requirements of our customers. Whether it is a standard or custom configuration, we work with our customers to deliver the right system based on their exact specifications. Compared to standard gas compressors and boosters, oil-free gas compressors and boosters offer a wide variety of advantages that make them the ideal choice for many applications and industries.
What Are Oil-Free Gas Compressors & Boosters?
Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are used when process gas pressure needs to be boosted for a particular application. Since there is no oil in the compression chamber, there is no possibility that the gas being boosted or compressed will become contaminated.
Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are suitable for handling corrosive, explosive, and notorious gases. Examples of gases that can be boosted/compressed include:
- Hydrogen. Oil-free gas boosters are often used as hydrogen boosters for filling stations.
- Natural gas. Natural gas is a reliable, clean-burning, and cost-effective fuel; however, many applications require higher pressure than standard natural gas services can provide. Natural gas boosters effectively increase pressure levels, reducing the need for gas cylinders. These systems can deliver optimum pressure for processes such as metal cutting, soldering, flame coating, and more.
- Helium. Oil-free gas boosters can be used for helium gas trans-filling from a large bank to individual cylinders.
- Nitrogen. Booster systems can amplify gas pressures of onsite nitrogen generators to enable various industrial processes.
- Argon. A common application of oil-free boosters is boil-off argon recovery from liquid cryogenic tanks. Other uses for boosted argon include heat treatment, protection against oxidation, lasers, and more.
Other types of gas that can be compressed and boosted include biogas methane, carbon dioxide, ethane, ethylene, heliox, krypton, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), and more.
How Gas Boosters/Compressors Work
Although gas boosters and compressors are similar, they have several functional differences.
Depending on the model, oil-free boosters compress gases from 50-100 PSIG inlet, up to 3000 PSI at the outlet. Oil-free boosters utilize supercharged air from a primary source, such as a screw compressor, and compress it further to deliver the gas with increased pressure. More specifically, your existing plant air enters the booster at a lower pressure, travels through the air booster, and exits at the desired higher pressure needed for your industrial process.
Oil-free compressors compress gas from atmospheric (14.7 PSI inlet) to ~200 PSIG at the outlet. Gas compressors use high-speed rotation and stationary compression chambers to pressurize gases by compressing atmospheric air.
Benefits of Hycomp Oil-Free Gas Compressors & Boosters
At Hycomp, our oil-free gas compressors and boosters offer numerous advantages over standard compressors and boosters. These include:
Spend Less, Get More
When our oil-free boosters and compressors are combined with your plant gas, they quickly pay for themselves. Because our boosters start with a higher inlet pressure, you can use a smaller machine to meet your requirements. This results in less energy usage, reduced maintenance, and lower installation costs.
Your Schedule – Continuous Duty
Gas boosters and compressors from Hycomp are truly continuous duty. Our compressors were developed for slower running speeds to accommodate 60 minutes per hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days per year of continuous operation. This significantly reduces your risk of unplanned downtime.
Custom Build – Standard price
Our compressors and boosters are completely modular. We offer 20 cylinder sizes, 6 packing arrangements, 9 block sizes, and 2 cooling methods to meet your particular needs. With nearly endless component and material configurations, we can deliver a custom-built air booster or compressor without the custom price.
Flexible Engineering – Application Specific
Hycomp gas compressors and boosters are very flexible, enabling us to meet your needs rather than you changing to meet ours. You are never locking into specific discharge or suction pressures because our modular style of manufacturing and engineering creates nearly endless compression possibilities. No matter what your boosting or compression challenge may be, Hycomp can create the ideal solution.
Oil-Free Gas Booster/Compressor Applications and Industries
Oil-free gas boosters and compressors from Hycomp are used extensively across a variety of industries including:
- Aerospace. Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are used for argon recovery, pressure testing, tire filling, and autoclave (inerting).
- Automotive. The automotive industry relies on boosters and compressors for engine (dyno) testing, painting applications, and more.
- Chemical. The chemical industry uses oil-free boosters and compressors for applications such as pressure testing, N2 blanketing, liquid transfer, and more.
- Electronics. Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are used for fiber optics, plastics extruding, and N2 blanketing in the electronics industry.
- Energy, Oil & Gas. The energy and oil & gas sectors use boosters and compressors for biogas/helium/vapor recovery, purge air, instrument air, liquid transfer, and gas sealing.
- Environmental. The environmental industry relies on oil-free compressors and boosters for anaerobic digester gas mixing, reclaiming gas, and biogas recovery.
- Fire Protection. Throughout the fire protection industry, gas compressors and boosters are used for suppression accumulator bottles and filling extinguishers.
- Food Production. Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are used for fermentation air, food-grade CO2, mixing, transport, N2 blanketing, and pressure testing.
- Heating, Cooling, Refrigeration. The heating, cooling, and refrigeration industries rely on boosters and compressors for pressure testing coils.
- Institutional. The institutional industry uses oil-free boosters and compressors for applications such as lab instrument air and steam reforming.
- Medical Device Manufacturing. Oil-free gas boosters and compressors are used for bead blasting, heat quenching with argon, contact lens processing, syringe processing, pressure testing, and medical device sterilization.
- Metal Fabrication. The metal fabrication industry uses boosters and compressors for laser cutting and coating processes.
- Mining. The mining industry relies on oil-free gas boosters and compressors for filter press processes.
- Municipal WWT. The municipal wastewater treatment sector uses boosters and compressors for hydro-pneumatic processes for water hammer suppression and providing instrument air.
- Pharmaceutical/BioPharma. This industry uses boosters and compressors for lab air, blow molding of blister packaging, and refrigerant recovery.
- Plastics/Rubber. Oil-free gas compressors and boosters are used for autoclave (inerting), vinyl manufacturing, and high-pressure plastic forming.
- Semiconductor. The semiconductor industry relies on boosters and compressors to power high-pressure tools and specialty processes for silicon wafer and diode manufacturing.
- Specialty Gas Manufacturing. This industry uses gas boosters and compressors for vapor recovery and steam reforming.
- Steel Mills. Steel mills use oil-free gas compressors and boosters for N2 blanketing, air knives, descaling, and air over hydraulic processes.
Specific applications for our oil-free gas compressors and boosters include:
- Filter Press. Air-over-filter presses are utilized when a power connection is not possible or not available in a process line.
- Steam Reforming. The steam reforming process takes natural gas and turns it into hydrogen for various processes.
- Food & Material Conveying. Using oil-free gas compressors and boosters in food applications ensures the quality of the user’s product is as intended and eliminates the risk of contamination.
- Vapor Recovery. Vapor recovery compressors are most commonly used in oil storage tank applications within the oil & gas industry.
Oil-Free Gas Boosters & Compressors at Hycomp
Hycomp is a manufacturer of safe and reliable oil-free gas booster and compressor systems for customers across various industries. We maintain a comprehensive selection of compressors and boosters and can create custom solutions if our standard configurations don’t meet your needs. Regardless of your needs, we can deliver high-quality oil-free gas boosters and compressors based on your specific requirements. For more information about our products, or to get started on your custom solution, contact us or request a quote today.